does the X-Bogosity line mess up spamicity calculations?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Thu Aug 5 05:20:57 CEST 2004

On August 5, 2004 12:05 am, David Relson wrote:

> Suppose I know that you're using bogofilter.  Suppose I include
> (rather than eating it), your email program will think bogofilter
> classified the message as ham and will accept it as ham (rather than
> reject it as spam).

Oh, I see. Prevents an exploit "by eating the line", not prevents an exploit
"by ignoring the tokens on that line when calculating the message's
spamicity".

Which is an interesting subtlety since I thought bogofilter only ignored the
tokens in that line. It actually goes one step better and discards them,
right?

This explains behaviour I saw earlier when I ran bogofilter -p on a message
already classified and saw the X-Bogosity line move around in the message
header list.