[bogofilter] Windows users HEADS UP: worm infection

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Apr 28 14:35:58 CEST 2004

Hi,

someone from people who are or used to be on this list and were/are
subscribed with a Windows mailer appears to have fallen prey to some
virus. I have just received a bounce that accuses me of having sent a
"Nervous_illnesses.com" file to Greg Louis - and I'm 100% confident I
haven't sent him such a file.

Given that my only contacts with Greg Louis have been about bogofilter,
I am not sending such worms, given that current Windows malware scans
the computer for addresses and appears to have found both mine and
Greg's on the same computer, it is likely that a readers' computer is
infected.

Please update your virus scanner from the manufacturer's site and scan
your computer for worms. Be sure to use Windows Update regularly, in the
third week of each month at the latest. Consider switching your mailer
to a safer product that makes you less vulnerable to accidentally
running a worm and configuring the mailer safely, for instance, let it
show the plain text part of a plain/HTML combined mail.