Hints for setup

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Wed Apr 14 14:02:06 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 04:16, Alessandro de Manzano wrote:
> please, any hint is welcome ! ;)

It really depends on your philosophy and priorities.  The main choices
to make are global database vs seperate user databases, and the method
of making corrections (varied).

For me, accuracy is the most important thing, as I'd rather not use a
filter than get any false positives.  This is probably even more
important if you're providing the service to your company, where a
single email not delivered could have a serious impact.  With this in
mind and considering the relative cheapness of harddrives these days, I
prefer the per-user wordlists.  If you have lots of users such that your
mailserver's processor gets overloaded running bogofilter for everyone,
again, upgrading your mailserver or adding additional servers is
relatively inexpensive.  And when I say relatively, I mean in comparison
to the huge amounts of productivity lost sifting through spams manually,
or the money lost when a vital email is not delivered because your
global wordlist is not accurate enough for all of your users.  You could
also chain your servers so that you have a box dedicated to filtering
without touching your existing mail server(s).

Then there is the issue of reporting misclassifications.  There seem to
be quite a few methods floating around.  Some people use IMAP folders,
others create a dedicated POP3 account, etc.  I've created a script
which handles this for me called "bfproxy" which processes commands in
each users' own email address.  You can read the specifics (and the
source) here: http://www.orderamidchaos.com/bogofilter/bfproxy.  I
simply create a "contact" in my users' address books for each of several
options so that they don't have to remember the commands, and they just
forward misclassifications to those contacts.  They receive a receipt a
few minutes later specifying the corrections made.  This method is also
remarkably simple to extend to new users by just copying a skeleton
procmailrc file into their home directory and modifying one line.

Tom