Hints for setup

Alessandro de Manzano demanzano at playstos.com
Fri Apr 9 14:45:04 CEST 2004

Hello,

(sorry for my bad english..)

I'ld setup bogofilter for company I work but I really would have
hints and comments about the "deploying strategy" I planned.

Situation:

-FreeBSD 4.9p3 server
-final destination MX server is running Postfix 2.0.19 with some "add
on" like Kaspersky AV LMTP filter.
-all users (about 45-50 mailboxes) are "real" UNIX users with inbox
mailbox in /var/mail/<username> but, of course, no shell access.
-Clients poll their mail via Qpopper's POP3 server (with delete mail
after poll)

In this situation my problem is gathering good "ham" and "spam" mails
to train enough bogofilter.
Since I can't go on every client's desktop (all Win2K/XP machines with
many different MUAs, like Outlook, Outlook Express, PMMail, TheBat,
Apple Mail, Netscape Mail, etc.) reading their "good" mailboxes I
thought this system:

phase 1:
deploy bogofilter called by postfix with system-wide
procmail.
(NO wordlist database will be created before)
This rule will run "bogofilter -n" just to create an "ham-only"
database.
NO filtering will be done, just a passive capture of all mails
(including spam, that is) stored as "good".

phase 2:
since few months my users are already keeping a copy of all their spam
mails, so I actually have a sort of "spam samples".
I'll gather all their spam mailboxes (and just this is another story..
;)) ) and I'll put in with "bogofilter -Ns" to correct previous results.

phase 3:
I'll activate a different procmail rule in order to filter mail by
"bogofilter -p -u -e" results  or, maybe, just running it in order to
mark spam in subject but not auto-deleting it.
This should be enough to start, then users will correct classification
errors bouncing mail to special private alias like "spam at mydomain" and
"nospam at mydomain" that will execute bogofilter -Ns and -Sn.

If you read my mail till this sentence :) , could you please tell me
what you think about my plans ?
Seems good or am I totally crazy ? :))

How do you installed bogofilter in a situation like mine ?

Any hints, suggestions, comments and costructive critics are most
welcome! :)

Many thanks in advance!

--

Alessandro de Manzano