[bogofilter] Re: Docs available that are understandable by non-gurus?

Bob George mailings02 at ttlexceeded.com
Tue Apr 6 20:07:03 CEST 2004

Wayne K9DI wrote:

> [...]  This filter was
> reccomended to me by the tech at my local ISP and it sounds great, but
> I've only found one "fly in the ointment" so to speak.  I've read and
> re=read the man page(s) and each time come away more confused.  Is there
> hidden away somewhere a set of docs a non-guru (or a blind man) can
> easily follow?

I suspect you're probably getting hit with the biggest problem with open
source tools: options. I'm not a developer, but here's my (admittedly
non-authoritative) experience with bogofilter:

It's a tool that does a very specific function (differentiating spam
from non-spam), but that's it. To use it effectively, you typically will
want to combine it with other tools to suit your specific needs.

So now we have to ask some questions back: How are you planning to use
bogofilter? Are you wanting to incoporate it into procmail to sort
incominb messages? What sort of system are you using? Is this for
individual, or site-wide use?

 > Don't get me wrong the man page does a GREAT job of
> explaining the "why" of how this great filter works, but, to me, falls very
> short in explaining the how of the nuts and bolts of setting up and
> using bogofilter.

Don't get discouraged. My experience is that bogofilter is like any
other fine tool. It can take a few tries to get the hang of it, and it
doesn't have some of the chrome and glitz of others. But once you master
it, you can do things quickly with it that'll take much longer with others.

- Bob
(who just re-trained bayes in a matter of minutes with bogofilter, then
waited hours for others.)