compile time options

Stefan Bellon sbellon at sbellon.de
Tue Sep 30 15:35:01 CEST 2003

Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:
> Stefan Bellon wrote:

[snip]

> > You need it for printing stats even if the spamicity number is
> > smaller than the threshold (see gra_print_stats and
> > rob_print_stats).

> Where? The documentation is well hidden or non-existent.

Source code (graham.c for gra_print_stats and robinson.c for
rob_print_stats).

[snip]

> > I vote against removing those two. There are certain cases of
> > interoperability where applications only offer to save to a file
> > and not to stdout (same goes for reading from stdin).

> Can you give an example?

Say an MUA has a field where you can enter any pre-processing utililty.
Then there are special values like %f (file where MUA puts the mail) or
%F (file where MUA expects the mail for reading back in and replacing).
This does not support stdio. Therefore you need the switches -I and -O
in order to be able to write something like:

    bogofilter -p -I %f -O %F

Such a line is exec'ed or system'ed or whatever call the language
provides in order to support starting external programs. Not every
language a MUA could be written in may support stdio redirection in a
call to exec/system/whatever, so that the above syntax must be used.

--
Stefan Bellon