stdout

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Sep 24 20:56:13 CEST 2003

Tom Anderson <tanderso at oac-design.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm writing a Perl script to proxy my train-on-error requests via email,
> and I've run into a slight wall.  Everything is working correctly,
> except I can't capture the output from my "bogofilter -Sn (or -Ns)"
> system calls.  I've tried all kinds of piping and redirecting,
> backticks, exec, etc., and bogofilter continues to send it's -v output
> to the terminal (when testing on the terminal).  Is it bypassing
> stdout?

No, it just prints to stderr. I wouldn't call that bypassing since
stderr is a standard facility of avoiding piping mail somewhere where
you don't want it.

> Is there a way to capture -l output as well?  All I want to do is
> return some sort of status via email besides that it exited correctly.

You can add 2>&1 to your bogofilter call to have stderr and stdout
captured.

> Also, can a string be passed into bogofilter instead of a file?

Via bogofilter stdin, yes.

> I tried piping echo, but that caused "extra info" errors.

Please show the exact command line you've used (if it's file lines of
Perl, fine, show them).

> Creating a temp file to give bogofilter seems to be an unnecessary
> extra step.

Indeed it is.