Can bogofilter filter Swen

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Sep 23 20:53:26 CEST 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:09:09 +0100
"Laurence" <ljng at hbbs.org> wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
> >
> > My site uses bogofilter in spam/ham/unsure (tristate) mode
>
> Can you give us some more info on tristate mode.  The man page
> mentions using '-3' and "This option is effective only if ham_cutoff
> is non-zereo.[sic]".
>
> How is the unsure option returned in the X-Bogosity header and do I
> need to set -o?  What's a good value for -o?
>
> Questions, questions!
>
> Thanks
> Laurence

Hi Laurence,

First thing, you've got an old bogofilter.  The last version with the
"zereo" typo is 0.11.3 (according to my archive).  I recommend updating
to the current version, which is bogofilter-0.15.4.

In bogofilter.cf.example, under the Fisher section, is given sample
ham_cutoff and spam_cutoff values.  With both of those values enabled,
bogofilter will be able to classify as ham (if score < ham_cutoff), as
spam (if score > spam_cutoff), and as unsure (if score is between
ham_cutoff and spam_cutoff).  This is known as tristate mode.  It's
activated when both ham_cutoff and spam_cutoff are non-zero (or, in old
archaic versions, non-zereo  :-).  The "-3" is actually redundant and is
not needed.

I find it easiest to use /etc/bogofilter.cf for storing parameters,
rather than using "-o".  You can do that which you prefer.

The script tuning/bogotune can be used to find the best values for your
site for parameters ham_cutoff, spam_cutoff, robs, robx, min_dev, and
db_cachesize.  The script has been revised a bit for the next release
(coming in a few days).

HTH,