Pipe timeout problem with 0.14.3-1

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Sep 14 23:37:53 CEST 2003

"Laurence" <ljng at hbbs.org> writes:

> Hi, I just installed 0.14.3-1 using Debian's dselect.  I'm using exim as my
> MTA so my .procmailrc is configured with the default:
>
> :0fw
> | bogofilter -u -e -p
>
> # if bogofilter failed, return the mail to the queue, the MTA will
> # retry to deliver it later
> # 75 is the value for EX_TEMPFAIL in /usr/include/sysexits.h
>
> :0e
> { EXITCODE=75 HOST }
>
> Now all messages get stuck in the queue - they eventually get returned with
> "pipe delivery process timed out".
>
> I've looked in all the relevant logs and nothing helpful is logged.
>
> Any suggestions what to try?

Can you send SIGQUIT to a hanging bogofilter process and obtain the
stack backtraces? SIGQUIT should cause bogofilter to drop core in the
user's home directory, and documentation on obtaining a stack backtrace
is at http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/FAQ.html#backtrace

One possible cause might also be data base corruption, try

for i in ~/.bogofilter/*.db ; do echo $i ; db_verify $i ; done

You may also try bogofilter 0.14.5.4 which is the latest stable version.