Classifying bounced messages

Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Sep 9 05:19:44 CEST 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Bill Wohler wrote:

> I was just wondering, is it a good idea to classify bounced messages
> that are in your "unsure" category as spam?
>
> With the recent sobig virus, lots of crap is mailed with my address used
> as the sender so I'm getting a lot of messages that are from
> Mailer-Daemon that include the virus.
>
> Should I be classifying these messages as spam as I would if I received
> the virus directly, or by doing so, do I increase the chance that I
> might miss a legitimate Mailer-Daemon message?

I worried about this for a few seconds and then decided to file all
unwanted Mailer-Daemon messages into the spam bucket.  It hasn't
stopped me from receiving valid Mailer-Daemon messages.

Bogofilter is doing an outstanding job of filtering the spam while
allowing valid stuff to get through.  After the first day of training,
and after using bogofilter for month, I have not had any valid message
get mis-classified as spam.  Without bogofilter, I would be viewing
about 100 spam messages per day.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us