-r versus -f [was: train on error]

jxz jxz at uol.com.br
Sat Sep 6 06:08:08 CEST 2003

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:53:11AM +0100, Peter Bishop wrote:
| Of course it all depends where you draw the line between "real spam"
| that is deleted and "possible spam" that is not. I use the Robinson
| algorithm that tends to give a fairly linear spamicity scale. With this
| measure my current settings are:
|
| 0 ..  ham .. 0.54 .. possible spam .. 0.65  ... deletable spam  1.0

Thanks for the response!

I suppose the Robinson-Fisher algorithm is used by default because it
produced better results via pratical tests.

But the Robinson algorithm produces a linear scale, as you say, and it
is interesting, because we can look at the "real spaminess" that
bogofilter thinks about the message, in a linear fashion, rather than a
"distorted" function tending to 0 or 1.

The question is: Is there any general rule in "what algorithm should I
use?" other than pratical experience with my own email?

All the best!

jxz at uol.com.br
http://jxz.dontexist.org/