Filters That Fight Back

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue Sep 2 22:12:36 CEST 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 02:12:39PM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > If you can do it at SMTP time then the only person put out is the actual
> > spammer.  But at SMTP time you can't send 1MB attachments of rubbish at
> > them luckily.
> It is not really true that doing it at SMTP time only has ill effects
> on the SPAMer.  It has similar ill-effects on you because while you
> stall his transmission, your mail system is also becoming more
> congested with inbound message processing since you must stall from
> your end.  If your site is busy, it could become a big deal.

I've not talked about stalling.  Just bouncing at SMTP time i.e. sending
a 5xx response.

There are systems which are quite sophisticated at deterring spammers
like SAUCE for instance:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/sauce/

Simon.

--
[ If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.              ]
        Black Cat Networks.  http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/