Filters That Fight Back

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Sep 2 13:57:58 CEST 2003

Tom Anderson <tanderso at oac-design.com> writes:

> If you wait until you've identified a spammer as "chronic", then it may
> be too late to punish the vast majority of them.

Spamhaus.org has a roster of known spammers and tracks which IPs they're
coming from -- although it's IP-based rather than content-based.

> Perhaps a more effective means of punishment would simply be a bounced
> mail.

Spammers use non-working response addresses, and if punishment happens,
spammers will use third-party response addresses, probably those of
anti-spam activists, abuse departments (to drown them in spam) and all
that.