Filters That Fight Back

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue Sep 2 11:41:36 CEST 2003

Salut Tom!

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 04:55:44AM -0400, Tom Anderson wrote:
> > Have you not received bounces for spamming runs done with a forged
> > envelope sender of your address in the past?  Ok, so someone spams
> > using your address to spam from and you'd be quite
> > happy to get the million 1M emails then would you?
> Simon, that is why I twice emphasized that this would only work if the
> bounce-sending agent could accurately decipher forged headers.

Ah right, so in theory this would be perfect right?
Although in this perfect theoretical world why would spam exist?

> If you go to spamcop.net and submit a spam, you'll see that the
> open-source software on that site pretty effectively determines
> whether or not the headers have been forged.

"pretty effectively"

So based on a "pretty effective" algorithm you're prepared to spam some
innocent people with 1M mails?

I didn't realise any of spamcop was GPL'd.  Thanks for pointing this
out.

> Something like this would be required before even thinking about
> sending out bounces for every alleged spam received.

Well, something more than this in my opinion.

> However, unlike the spamvertized website spidering idea to which this
> was a response,

Hmm, that seemed a silly idea too.

It's all a bit like fighting fire with fire and I don't think this is a
good approach.

Simon.

--
"Ahead groove factor 5!  Yeah!"  - Holly