HTML parsing

Boris 'pi' Piwinger 3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at
Wed Nov 26 13:29:23 CET 2003

David Relson wrote:

>> As diskussed, that might cause HTML parsing even where not
>> applicable. It does not seem to hurt. How about always doing
>> HTML parsing? After all, what can happen? If there are
>> things which look like HTML tags they will be treated as
>> such, but what else?
>
> <!--The innards of HTML comments are ignored.  So this response doesn't
> exist.   (except for the names) -->
>
> <!-- Likely there are other issues as well ... -->

You are perfectly right that those things can happen (as
with the DOCTYPE switch, if I just explain which one to use
for a page). But are they likely? I don't know, I don't
expect it. I'd test it, but my knowledge is not enought to
modify the lexer to achieve this.

I am wondering if this change would make the lexer simpler,
maybe faster or smaller.

pi