bogofilter 0.15.9 [was: Better default parameters: I need your help please! ]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Nov 22 19:12:38 CET 2003

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:57:56 +0100
Boris 'pi' Piwinger <3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at> wrote:

> >> I forgot something: There have been some changes to the
> >> lexer in the last weeks. The latest change what a token is.
> >> So it could be a good idea to wait for a new version before
> >> doing anything.
> >
> > That's true, but _any_ version of bogofilter will work.  The job at
> > hand is to find the best parameter set for scoring the messages.
> > The lexer changes just result in a slightly different message, i.e.
> > rather than having 150 tokens in the message, the count might be a
> > bit higher or a bit lower.  The different token set corresponds to a
> > slightly different message.  The effect is not significant, AFAICT.
>
> Well, I would not bet;-)

A cautious man!  FWIW, Greg and I have been doing tuning runs for many
months, since long before recent changes to the lexer.  Over time we've
seen consistent differences in tuning results.  Tests with his messages
give low min_dev values while tests with my messages give high min_dev
values.  Lexer changes (including tagging _all_ header tokens) have not
had any effect on this difference.  As I said, this difference has been
consistent.

> > Anyhow, I'll release 0.15.9 this weekend.  Hopefully, it'll be
> > today, but it may be tomorrow.
>
> Great. So it won't hurt to wait.
>
> pi

Correct.