0.15.7 badly broken (two problems on FreeBSD)

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Nov 17 02:35:02 CET 2003

Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> writes:

>> -rw-r--r--  1 kkenn  kkenn  59981824 Nov 15 15:21 wordlist.db
>>
>> Is the problem occurrinig because postfix will set resource limits
>> before delivering mail via procmail?

Likely. BerkeleyDB when used as solely a data store (without transaction
support) is sensitive to write errors and can corrupt its .db
files when DB pages need to be split.

I'm planning to switch to DB with transactions if the speed is bearable,
since these transactional-with-writeahead-logging data bases are
supposed to survive write errors, but we'll need to do internal changes
before it makes sense to switch the DB mode. According to internal
plannings, such work will likely start only after bogofilter 0.17.0. Not
sure if that will happen this year.

> problem fixed.  I'll post again in a few days to confirm so we can
> resolve this and get the info into the FAQ.

I'd think we'd better put this in the FAQ now already. No reason to
defer, the case is clear: Postfix sets RLIMIT_FSIZE to 50,000 kbytes,
procmail and bogofilter inherit this limit and libdb*.so bumps into a
brick wall and corrupts its file.

Maybe we should warn if the file size approaches RLIMIT_FSIZE to within
two Mbytes. (David, executables that use getrlimit and that have been
compiled on a GNU glibc 2.2 or newer will not be backwards compatible
with glibc 2.1.3. We shouldn't care though, glibc 2.2 has been released
over three years ago; if someone insists on running glibc 2.1.3, he can
compile from source.)