filter evasion

Stefan Mashkevich mash at mashke.org
Fri Nov 7 19:44:41 CET 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Greg McCann wrote:

> The spammers' response, of course, will be...
>
> font color="#ffffff"
>
> then...
>
> font color="#fffffe"
> font color="#fffeff"
> font color="#feffff"
>
> etc..

Very true.

> There is a virtually unlimited number of ways to make text invisible or nearly so.

Even more generally, there is a virtually unlimited number of ways for
them to try and deceive the filter -- including but not limited to invalid
HTML, invisible text, ... you name it. Thus it will always be possible to
construct a message with almost any given payload which will get through
the filter. But (hopefully!) not all spammers are intelligent enough; and
staying at 97%+, or whatever it is, success rate would work as far as I'm
concerned.

It's a race we can't win, but that's no reason not to try and keep close
behind the enemy :-)

                                                     Stefan