some questions about bogofilter 0.13.6&0.15.7

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Nov 4 13:46:47 CET 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:35:46 +0400
Mike Lykov <combr at vesna.ru> wrote:

> _ _________ __ _______ 04 ______ 2003 16:15 __ ________:
>
> > Welcome to the bogofilter mailing list.  We're glad to have you.
>
> Thanks for clear description!
>
> > Regarding applications and images, they tend to have binary content
> > which does not provide useful information for bogofilter.  When it
> > encounters a mime part that's labeled as a program or a picture, it
> > ignores that mime part.
>
> What about other attaches in correctly-formatted email ?
> Like Microsoft office documents, or any other files ?
> Is it ignoring or tokenizing ?

Looking at token.c, bogofilter ignores mime parts of types MIME_MESSAGE,
MIME_APPLICATION, and MIME_IMAGE.

If you want to see the tokens being parsed, try running "bogolexer -p <
msg".   Adding flags "-v -x l" will also show the input lines.  If the
text is base64, qp, or uu encoded, a second "-v" will show the decoding.

>  Bogofilter _never_ changes the email (except to
> > add it's X-Bogosity line).  Describing the action as "discarding"
> > the information was a bad choice of wording by me.  I apologize for
> > that.
>
> I do not think that bogofilter change emails, but you can fix man page
>  ;)

I'll find all uses of "discard" and change them.