database corruption

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu May 29 15:02:37 CEST 2003

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Question for those of you with problems:  What versions of bogofilter
> and BerkeleyDB are you using?  What operating system?  If there're are
> problems it's important to know about it.

The point is: what was the oldest bogofilter version that has been used?

I've seen errors "sleep" in the data base that later cause trouble as
the data base grows.

Other question: is NFS or another networked file system involved? If
yes, does it support fcntl()-locking?

People who see that bogoutil -d or db_dump loops can try to rescue data
(no promises though) from their data bases with:

cp goodlist.db goodlist.db.bak
db_dump -r goodlist.db >good.raw
db_load good.new.db <good.raw
rm -f goodlist.db
bogoutil -d good.new.db | bogoutil -l goodlist.db
rm -f good.new.db good.raw

The same for "spam" instead of "good".

It is wise to check if the goodlist.db is sorta complete after the
process (run: bogoutil -d goodlist.db | less) and if it looks incomplete
(say, it stops at letter h rather than z) then halt the mail system,
remove the data bases and train bogofilter from scratch.