Read-only bogofilter over NFS without lockd?

Marek Kowal marek.kowal at portal.onet.pl
Fri May 16 21:52:26 CEST 2003

Hi there,

I would like to share my wordlists over NFS. Manual says it is possible if I
use proper locking and run lockd, otherwise I do risk wordlist corruption.
Well, in my setup running lockd is not possible. But, but, but:

In my production systems I do _not_ train my bogofilter on-line. Rather, I
use separate machine for that purpose, and from time to time I copy
resulting wordlists to production environment (training takes even few
hours). There are few target computers on my network, so I have to copy the
resulting files manually to each one of them - this slowly becomes real
fuss. So I thought of sharing the wordlists over the network. Unfortunately
- as I said - lockd is out of question.

But - since I use my wordlists readonly - why should they get corrupted? Or
is there some trick in bogofilter which causes the file to be written even
though they are used for checking messages only? Or - I do hope - when using
bogofilter in that mode the files can be shared over network without any
problems? I guess it is so - the modification date of my wordlists does not
change when running bogofilter. But I need a confirmation ;-)

My options to bogofilter in production environment are:

./bogofilter -b -v -d /var/bogofilter/current

Hope you can help.

Cheers,
Marek