parsing options

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu May 15 17:40:18 CEST 2003

At 11:28 AM 5/15/03, Clint Adams wrote:

> > -Pu, -PU upper_case
> >
> > For the switches, a lower case letter enables the option (turns it on) and
> > an upper case letter disables it (turns it off).
>
> > Note 2:  Option '-Pu' makes bogofilter case insensitive, which is the way
> > bogofilter has operated since day 1.  With "-Pu", words "test", "Test",
> and
> > "TEST" are all converted to "test".  All the recent tests of case folding
> > (or not folding) indicate that doing changing upper case to lower case is
> > really, really bad.
>
>Enabling "upper_case" makes it case-insensitive?  Seems much more
>confusing than -Pf and -PF to me.

Clint,

Well, I'm open to suggestions and will go along with a majority vote on
whether to use f/F or u/U.

It would be nice to have case and status parallel one another, i.e. have
upper case mean the option is disabled and lower case mean it's enabled.

It would be nice to have either the historical defaults correspond to all
upper case or all lower case.

Enabling upper case and disabling case folding mean the same thing, though
their enable/disable states are the opposite of one another.

As I said, feel free to suggest and vote.