bogofilter 0.12.2 binary package for FreeBSD 4.X on

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed May 14 23:44:54 CEST 2003

Sam Hills <rcb at bbll.com> writes:

> uname -m says i386.
> The logon msg. says FreeBSD 2.1.6

uname -r is the authoritative source for that information.

> Maybe Matthias's build won't work on this system?

For sure. The executables in my tarball are in "ELF" format, FreeBSD 2
has no idea of ELF, it used a.out. Even if I recompiled it for a.out,
it'd break because FreeBSD 2 doesn't have a libc.so.4 that it needs. ELF
was introduced into FreeBSD officially with the release of FreeBSD 4.0
in March 2000.

My version works on recent FreeBSD 4 systems and it may also work on
FreeBSD 5 systems, at least if you install the Perl package.

Let me know if the package fails on FreeBSD 4.6, 4.7, 4.8, a recent
4-STABLE, 5.0 or 5.1. Remember to enable compat4x on FreeBSD 5
systems. I'm not supporting older FreeBSD versions, because the FreeBSD
maintainers don't support older versions either, and it's pointless to
run an Internet server system for that no security support is available.

> Maybe I need to convince my ISP to upgrade his server software???

You don't want to hear my opinion on that one.
If you do, read on: (scroll way down all to the very bottom)

You'd better switch ISP. If they haven't managed to get the server
software updated in over six years, they aren't trustworthy.

I'd think FreeBSD 2.1 support was discontinued in 1997 or 1998, FreeBSD
2.2 support then likely in 1999. I don't have exact dates, and I don't
care. FreeBSD 4.8 is a good choice for production systems, and we'll see
if 5.1 will be released as stable release or still an early adopter
release.