comments from a new user

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Sun May 11 15:13:08 CEST 2003

On 20030510 (Sat) at 0757:50 -0400, Greg Louis wrote:

> >     "the likelihood (extrapolated from your registered non-spam
> >     messages) that a non-spam message contains this token"
>
> That would be extremely inaccurate.  pgood tells us nothing about the
> likelihood that a nonspam message contains the token; it addresses the
> likelihood that a message containing the token is nonspam.  There may
> be, and likely are, millions of other nonspams that do not contain the
> token, and pgood has no bearing on that number.

Brainfart, sorry, you're right.  pgood is the proportion of a sample of
nonspams that contains the token.  As such it _is_ an estimate of how
likely it is that a nonspam would contain the token, and what I said
above is garbage.  Mea culpa.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key: finger     |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   glouis at consultronics.com |