comments from a new user

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Sat May 10 02:34:28 CEST 2003

I just started using bogofilter and wanted to drop a few notes on my initial
experience.

- When I first started experimenting, I wanted to know whether it
  was "safe" to register mails more than once.  The man page gives a
  hint in the paragraphs on -S and -N that there is no detection of
  duplicate registrations, but it would be clearer to state it
  up-front at the top of REGISTRATION OPTIONS.  (I realize that
  duplicates probably aren't a big deal in actual usage, but when
  getting familiar with bogofilter it can be confusing if one
  expects them to be ignored but they are not.)

- The man page mentions a -t (terse) option, but its behavior is not
  specified.

- The FAQ has an obviously wrong explanation of pgood and pbad.  It calls
  pgood the "likelihood that a message containing this token is non-spam"
  when (I think) it means the "likelihood that a non-spam message contains
  this token".

- It took me a while to figure out why -vv sometimes doesn't print
  statistics.  I see that there is a -F option to force it, but this seems
  like a poor default.  I imagine that most people expect the statistics,
  period.

I am using bogofilter 0.12.2 from Debian GNU/Linux.

Andrew