garbage removal

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu May 8 20:49:25 CEST 2003

At 02:35 PM 5/8/03, Jef Poskanzer wrote:

>I've been wondering about this issue too.  From reading the man pages
>it seems like I'm supposed to run 'bogoutil -m' every so often, say from
>a weekly cron job.  However I don't see anything about this in the FAQ
>or the mailing list archive or google.  Is that what people are doing?

Jeff,

Bogofilter _does_ have maintenance abilities as you've noticed.  However,
we haven't yet figured out if/when they're necessary.  My wordlists have
been accumulating since bogofilter's infancy (Oct 2002) and are up to 14MB
(goodlist.db) and 7MB (spamlist.db).  I've noticed no decline in speed,
hence have had no need to delete anything.

Other than using the "replace_nonascii_characters" option (because there
seemed to be lots of totally garbaged tokens), I've not done anything about
maintenance.

Others have busier mail servers and bigger wordlists.  Perhaps they'll
share their observations with us.