bulk mode

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue May 6 19:19:12 CEST 2003

Bob,

Your analysis is correct.  The bulk mode switches, '-b' and '-B', were
originally intended for use in classifying multiple messages - something
bogofilter couldn't do before version 0.12.  Since bogofilter _could_
register multiple messages (using mbox format), and since a maildir can be
easily converted to a mbox, registration doesn't _have_ to work with bulk mode.

That being said, it may be easy to change registration to work with bulk
mode.  As your debugging output showed, there's a loop in classify() to
open the next file and classify its message.  This loop may be reusable for
bulk mode registration.

At the moment, I'm considering whether or not to make registration and bulk
mode, i.e. '-b' and '-B', work together.  The simplest "fix" to the
segfault problem is to declare that registration and bulk mode are
incompatible and have bogoconfig check for that option combination and
complain.

However, I'll likely spend some time and see if I can "make it work right".