CSS abuse

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Sun Mar 30 04:51:34 CEST 2003

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 07:29:18PM -0700, Michael D Richards wrote:
> I like it. I think it increases the readability of the faq by keeping
> the column size in check. There are no borders, ugly or otherwise,
> rendered by my screen. There is nothing wrong with using CSS to format a
> page, that is what it is for.

Hi Michael,

I don't understand.  How does keeping the text a constant width increase
readability?

With a fixed width I can only see the left hand side of the column of
text unless I resize the window to some predetermined size decided upon
by the style.

This is totally contrary to reason for HTML in the first place.
The Browser, NOT the style, is responsible for deciding how to display
the page content.  The HTML is only supposed describe the nature of how
each element is presented.  The browser adjusts that to the local
environment.

Ignoring the size of the user's window is not anything that increases
readability.  Its breaking how browsers are designed to be used.

Its almost as bad as using <blink>. (But nothing's that bad :-) )

Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz at kinz.org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an
acceptance of the offer at http://www.kinz.org/policy.html.
Don't forget to change your password often.