bogofilter and problem with header/body separator

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Mar 11 15:02:11 CET 2003

Hello Fabrice,

At 08:40 AM 3/11/03, Fabrice Prigent wrote:

>         Hello everybody,
>
>         I had this week a strange problem with bogofilter (I suppose) :
> many messages, most from mailing-list are rejected with
>         "Message has no header/body separator"
>
>         I use Postfix and Cyrus (configured with lmtp)

Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with Cyrus ...

>         I think it's bogofilter (0.10.3.1 and not 0.11.1.3) because :
>
>         - any action on any other software (restart, reload, etc..) don't
> change anything.
>         - when I bypass bogofilter, all is OK.
>
>         I decided to "refresh" database with "bogoutil -m", and now it's
> OK with bogofilter.
>         When I watch old maillog, it's seems that the problem disappear
> every night ("crontabed" refreshing) but it reappear later
>
>         I tried to rebuild completely database with
>         bogoutil -d goodlist.db|bogoutil -l goodlist.new
>
>         and it shrunk from 48 Mo to 9Mo !!!]

This sounds like you had a corrupt database.  Have you tried running db_verify?

Since version 0.9.1.2 a lot of work has been put into locking so that
BerkelyDB can't corrupt the database.  Most of that work is in 0.10.3.1,
but I think there's a bit more in 0.11....  Matthias knows all the details
of the locking changes.

Possibly what's happening is that bogofilter was running into trouble with
the database and that Postfix/Cyrus was seeing the failure and giving the
"header/body" message.