How to add X-Bogosity line in qmail

Todd Underwood todd-bogofilter at osogrande.com
Sat Mar 8 00:59:47 CET 2003

comments below...

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Chris Wilkes wrote:

> > 1) deliver to a script.  instead of just using condredirect, deliver to a
> > script that modifies the message, parses the header and then either
> > completes the delivery or re-injects the message based on the results.
>
> To do the deliver the mail I would suggest using the Safecat program,
> available here:
> 	http://www.nb.net/~lbudney/linux/software/safecat.html
> Just pipe the email through "maildir ./My/Maildir/Location/" and it will
> be delivered like the maildir spec says.

safecat is another good suggestion.  it does the maildir delivery part
safely.  excellent suggestion.

> > 3) do something creative with condredirect.  basically, never deliver
> > anything out of your .qmail file directly.  always deliver to an alias.
> > take advantage of the -e -p combination in bogofilter to do a second
> > delivery if the first doesn't match.  basically:
> >
> > | condredirect [local address for spam] /usr/bin/bogofilter -f -p
> > | condredirect [local address for nonspam] /usr/bin/bogofilter -f -e -p
> > ./Maildir/
>
> Isn't that the same thing the OP posted? :)  The man page for
> condredirect isn't exactly clear on what it uses for the email, testing
> it out shows that it isn't the stdout of the program that it runs, but
> rather the original email.

DOH!  you're right.  i don't know why i had assumed that condredirect was
doing a delivery of the email as stdout from the command.  that was a
dumb and obviously incorrect answer.

> I personally don't need the Bogosity header as I'm dividing up into Spam
> and NonSpam through the condredirect lines and that's all I really need
> to know about the email.

me, too, which is why i think i screwed up the answer.

to end up with the headers how about something like:

.qmail  and .qmail-default:

| condredirect user-spam /usr/bin/bogofilter -f -u
| /usr/bin/bogofilter -f -u -p | /usr/bin/safecat ./Maildir/tmp/ ./Maildir/new/

.qmail-spam
| /usr/bin/bogofilter -f -u -p | /usr/bin/safecat ./Maildir/.SPAM/tmp/ ./Maildir/.SPAM/new/

this, too, like the previous crap i wrote, is untested.  :-).  does it
even look reasonable?

the reason it's worth thinking about this is to do pop-enabled stuff for
customers who may only be able to filter on headers.

t.
--

todd underwood, sr. vp & cto
oso grande technologies, inc.
todd at osogrande.com

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion."
  	    --Edmund Burke, Speech at County Meeting of Bucks, 1784.