getopt-long [was: -t output]

Joerg Over Dexia over at dexia.de
Wed Jul 30 16:41:22 CEST 2003

Am 16:09 30.07.2003 +0200 teilte Boris 'pi' Piwinger mir
folgendes mit:
->David Relson wrote:
->
->> If I were to change bogofilter, I'd probably make the default
tags be
->> Spam/Ham/Unsure rather than Yes/No/Unsure.  Spam/Ham/Unsure
has the
->> advantage of being clear and unambiguous.  Unfortunately this
change might
->> affect lots of users, so it won't be made.
->
->Do you really think, that people use -t other than for
->scripting? We made more important changes (the FAQ tells the
->story;-).
->
->pi

I'd second that. It probably does affect a lot of users, me for
example, but if you don't dare to make valuable changes with a
version 0.13 you'll have a lot of overhead and gunk once you're
going 1.0. And you'll probably be sorry. So my call'd be:
Whenever it's making broad sense, topple/build/change it *now*.
(In that line of thought, I'd rather have an exit value of 0 for
ham, so that everything <> 0 would be either spam (or unsure) or
an error. It just feels right (for me). I'm probably alone there,
so I'll patch it, but what I want to say is: If a majority here
thought that a wise idea I'd recommend changing it as soon as
possible although that'd break about every script in production
out there. That's what 0.x versions are for.)

Greetings, jo
|  __ __ __ __ _ _          just another pointless signature    |