RFC-2047 [was: New spam trick]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Jul 21 16:37:05 CEST 2003

At 10:26 AM 7/21/03, Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:
>David Relson wrote:
>
> > My wordlist shows:
> >                         spam   good
> > subj:iso-8859-1         117     12
> > subj:ISO-8859-1           5      6
> >
> > which makes the first clearly spam and the second indeterminate.  So, even
> > though bogofilter doesn't know about RFC-2047, useful information is found
> > in the headers.  Of course, there is room for improvement ...
>
>I believe your results are very special. If you receive lots
>of mail in languages which do not fit US-ASCII, you'll have
>lots of thos headers. And almost all information is lost.
>
>pi

Very possibly.  Certainly my environment is different from yours.  Almost
everything I receive that isn't iso-8859-1 and also english is junk
mail.  I suspect that's true for the United States and not true for most of
the world.

Anyhow, I've started experimenting to see how hard it is to support
RFC-2047 (and the non-compliant lack of whitespace that you mention).