lexer speedup.

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Jul 20 15:59:29 CEST 2003

Michael,

Good news.  My previous test, in which I reported different spam scores,
was flawed.  I was comparing the performance of bogofilter using separate
spam and ham wordlists to bogofilter using a combined spam/ham
wordlist.  Unfortunately, the combined and separate wordlists didn't have
comparable content.  Using the same spam and ham wordlist gives the same
spam scores and the following times:

scoring 4608 spam, 3479 ham
	 old: 140.50s user, 2.02s system, 2:36.17m elapsed,  91% CPU
	 new: 134.92s user, 2.23s system, 2:31.19m elapsed,  90% CPU

So the new code checks out as faster - approx 4% on my machine.

Thank you for the improved code.  I'll be committing it to cvs in the next
few minutes.

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson at osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800