What to do with this kind of Spam?

John McCain jmccain at layer3al.com
Mon Jul 14 22:49:46 CEST 2003

We talked about this a while back.  The effect will be that your database will
develop a very large population of unique tokens.  Since a unique token will
return a score of .415 (I believe), it will not affect the score of a message
at all.  It will, however, fill your database up with trash information over
time, but no one has really experienced a bloat or performance impact related
to this.

My concern has recently become "good word poisoning", where they are including
hammy words at the end of the message to defeat bayesian analysis.  My
bogofilter performance has suffered a great deal lately due to these bayesian
evasion tactics, so I've added Spamassassin.

I think we're nearing the end of the phase where Bayesian analysis alone can
win the spam battle.  The good thing is that Bayesian methods are forcing
spammers to use easily identifiable evasion techniques.  Now it's our turn to
adapt.