randomtrain vs bogotrain.pl

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Jul 5 01:18:43 CEST 2003

At 12:08 PM 7/4/03, Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:

> >The scoring test had 101 messages originally classified spam and 616
> >originally classified ham.  None of them were Nigerian.  The hoped for
> >result was to have all 717 messages classified as non-Nigerian.  The two
> >larger wordlists got this 100% right,
>
>I don't understand: Above it says, 616 were recognized as
>non-Nigerian (good) and 101 as Nigerian (spam). So there are
>101 false classifications.

One last time...

Normally I use bogofilter to separate spam and ham.  Nigerian scams are one
group of messages that I classify as spam.  As I wanted to know if
bogofilter could be used to detect Nigerian scams, I scanned my spam
folders and found 75 Nigerian scam messages.  Then I trained bogofilter
with the 75 Nigerian spam and 585 ham (in the non-UCE sense).  After that
training, I scored 717 messages.  Of the 717 messages, 101 came from my
spam corpus (in the UCE sense) and 616 came from my non-spam corpus.  None
of the 717 messages were Nigerian spam.

I was curious to see how well the 3 different wordlists would do in
recognizing these 717 messages (none of which were Nigerian spam).  The
first two wordlists got perfect scores - all the messages were correctly
scored as _not_ Nigerian spam.  With the third wordlist, 699 messages were
scored correctly and 18 messages were scored incorrectly.

Conclusion, the third wordlist was too small to provide a good result.

Unanswered question:  Why do the two train-on-error scripts give such
different results?