Nigerian spam [was: multiple types of spam]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Jul 4 00:22:16 CEST 2003

At 06:00 PM 7/3/03, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 10:08:14AM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> > A newer version of bogofilter may well help.
> >
> > Also, in directory tuning is script bogotune which will scan _your_ email
> > to see what the optimal parameters are for running bogofilter at your site.
>
>I did a little tuning (just reading and fiddling with values by
>hand, since I don't have enough spam on hand for the scripts), and
>then upgraded to 0.13.7.  Before upgrading, I was able to get some
>improvement on the single Nigerian spam I happen to have, though I'm
>still not sure how bogofilter can expect to cope with messages that
>have lots of innocent text.  Anyhow, I'll have to get some more data
>with the new version and configuration before I can say anything
>else.
>
>Andrew

Andrew,

It can be difficult.  If you want, I can send you a tarball with 60 or so
419 messages (before removal of duplicates).  Dont' know if it'll be useful
or not.

Bogofilter's scoring depends on finding words in a message that are
distinctly hammish or spammish.  Most innocent words lack distinctness (in
spam sense) and are ignored.  Having more Nigerian spam may help you detect
future arrivals.