bogotune [was: Nigerian spam ... ]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Jul 3 18:00:14 CEST 2003

At 09:47 AM 7/3/03, Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:
>Andrew Pimlott wrote:
>
> > I'd been meaning to do some more research and experimentation before
> > writing, but since this came up:  Is this the common experience?
>
>What is that spam, I never see it;-)
>
>Have you optimized your config? Try bogotune.
>
>pi

So far, I've found 45 nigerian scam messages in my corpus.  I suspect more
will show up as I search deeper.

Here's some evidence that tuning bogofilter makes a difference...

Scoring them using bogofilter's default parameters, I get:

    3 non-spam
   42 spam

Scoring them using my current bogofilter.cf, I get:

    45 spam

The parameters that make the difference are:

robs=0.0100
robx=0.35000
min_dev=0.435
ham_cutoff=0.4
spam_cutoff=0.509

These values were determined using contrib/bogotune.