Just saw a new spam tactic

Max Rible slothman at amurgsval.org
Fri Jan 31 03:14:23 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 18:06, Zack Brown wrote:
> Is it really necessary for Bogofilter to do anything about this? Won't
> bogofilter just learn to classify email containing those kinds of tags
> as spam?

It'd figure out the </k> tag tactic fairly quickly, I expect.
But the next logical step for a spammer is to introduce random
invalid HTML tags in their input.  This means that the key words
are broken up, so those aren't useful for statistical methods,
and the frequency of a given random tag would be too low to
recognize as well.  I think Nick's "skip past all tags for text/html
mail" pass is a good idea.  (The action of skipping can also
accumulate data separately on what's within the HTML.)
--
%% Max Rible % slothman at amurgsval.org % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
%% "Before enlightenment:  sharpen claws, catch mice.                %%