religion

Fred Yankowski fred at ontosys.com
Thu Jan 23 02:50:11 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 05:12:29PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> At 12:08 PM 1/22/03, Fred Yankowski wrote:
> >To allow auto-training and have a simple user procedure for
> >reclassifying messages (for false positives and false negatives from
> >bogofilter), I have procmail pass all unsure messages through
> >"bogofilter -s".  That way any message can be reclassified using only
> >the -N or -S option to bogofilter.
>
> With the "-s" you're treating "Unsure" as spam and adding tokens to
> spamlist.db.  Reclassifying as ham and using "-N" is right.  Using "-S" is
> incorrect.  Hopefully that was just a typo.

It wasn't a typo, but I can see how my words were confusing if you
didn't also read the web page I pointed to.  For each message sorted
into the "spam" or "unsure" folder I either delete the message (if
truly spam) or use "bogofilter -N" on it if it's not spam.  For each
message in other folders I either delete the message (when done with
it, if it's not spam) or use "bogofilter -S" on it if is is actually
spam.  The upshot is that -S is only used on messages recorded with -n
earlier (implicitly, via the -u option), and conversely for -N and -s
(with the latter applied both implicitly via -u and explicitly for
messages classified as unsure).

But, as they say in eXtreme Programming land, this has a funny
"smell".  It still seems too complicated.  And I think I've spent
several hours in the last several days setting up the bogofilter
mechanism on my system, which may take months to "earn" back as saved
time in email processing.

--
Fred Yankowski      fred at ontosys.com           tel: +1.630.879.1312
OntoSys, Inc	    PGP keyID: 7B449345        fax: +1.630.879.1370