which algorithm is in use?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Jan 22 20:42:58 CET 2003

Hi,

 From time to time the question comes up "which algorithm is bogofilter
_really_ using?"

Here's a script that will give you the answer.  Part 1 is to run bogofilter
for each of the 3 algorithms (and without reading any config file).  As the
scrip uses /dev/null for the message, the result given is the spamicity of
an empty (token-less) message.  You can think of it as a kind of default
value.  Part 2 of the script runs bogofilter using your config file, but
not specifying an algorithm.  The output should be match one of the first 3
lines.

### Here's the script ###

#!/bin/sh
export BOGOFILTER="/var/lib/bogofilter"
for alg in g r f ; do
     echo -n $alg: "  "
     ./bogofilter -$alg -v -C < /dev/null
done
echo -n "     "
./bogofilter -v < /dev/null

### Here are the outputs on my development machine ###

g:   X-Bogosity: No, tests=bogofilter, spamicity=0.500000,
version=0.10.0.tst.0122.1429
r:   X-Bogosity: No, tests=bogofilter, spamicity=0.415000,
version=0.10.0.tst.0122.1429
f:   X-Bogosity: Unsure, tests=bogofilter, spamicity=0.415000,
version=0.10.0.tst.0122.1429

As you can see from "Unsure ... 0.415000" my configuration is for
Robinson-Fisher.  You can also see that I use some of the message
formatting options to customize my  X-Bogosity line.

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson at osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800