bogofilter's default algorithm

Nick Simicich njs at scifi.squawk.com
Tue Jan 21 20:33:04 CET 2003

At 06:17 AM 2003-01-21 -0500, Greg Louis wrote:

>Automatic training without manual correction is not going to work
>anyway.

My current practice is to autotrain on all mail, (except for a particular
class that I want delivered whether spam or ham, which I do not bogofilter
at all) and to correct all the deliveries that get misfiled.

What this seems to expose me to is a window where a misclassified mail
might detrain the database, until it is refiled.

I just ran bogofilter -h and bogofilter -V and it told me that

bogofilter version 0.9.1.2 Copyright (C) 2002 Eric S. Raymond

and

         -g      - select Graham spam calulation method (default).
         -r      - select Robinson spam calulation method.
         -f      - select Fisher spam calulation method.

So I guess when I thought I was using Robinson, that was based on a message
here .  I am actually using Graham.  I have not seen any indication in the
makefile that I made any specific request, and I note that it does make all
of graham.o robinson.o and fisher.o.

I guess people belive that Robinson or Robinson-Fischer is better than
Graham.  If I want to switch to Robinson (which is still useful because it
gives me a yes-no answer) can I use my existing databases or do I have to
run all training over again?  I do note that I have not been saving all
mail I have used for training.

--
SPAM: Trademark for spiced, chopped ham manufactured by Hormel.
spam: Unsolicited, Bulk E-mail, where e-mail can be interpreted generally