How to avoid s p lit up wor ds?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.org.uk
Tue Jan 21 15:45:37 CET 2003

matthias.andree at gmx.de said:
> I've considered a two-stage approach:
>
> 1. reject mail with sender address that doesn't take replies at the SMTP port
> 2. bounce spam -- it IS deliverable.
>
> The major drawback is: how do I tell working addresses that belong to
> spammers from working addresses that belong to an innocent third
> party?

Because AFF spams are fairly dumb and besides they have to tell you somewhere
how to contact them and because they are such a small percentage of spam you
could do it manually in a few seconds

> If I slashdot the innocent, it's my fault and helps nobody.

Well I don't see anyone sending thousands of fake AFF spams soliciting a
slashdoting of some innocent third party. Also if you did have the
capacity to send thousands of fake AFF spams to slashdot someone, why
would you not directly hit their email box...

JAB.

Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan at buzzard.org.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195