How to avoid s p lit up wor ds?

Zack Brown zbrown at tumblerings.org
Tue Jan 21 14:36:15 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 01:12:52PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Jonathan Buzzard <jonathan at buzzard.org.uk> writes:
>
> > The best way to deal with African finance junk would be if *everyone* sent
> > a reply saying tell me more.
>
> It might help, but it's an enormous waste of time -- and if I did that
> for any spam that allows replies for contacts, I'd be doing nothing else
> all day long...

set up a separate bogofilter db that identifies *only* those messages,
and sends an automated reply.

In fact, auto-replying to all spam (something like, "why are you sending this
to me? Have we met before?") may be a good thing for similar reasons. It
may cause the spammers to step up their production of spam, thus spending
more money for less gain.

Of course, for cases where the spammers use "from" lines taken from the
same place they got your address, you might end up counter-spamming some
poor friend of yours...

Be well,
Zack

> --