bogofilter's default algorithm

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Jan 20 22:21:25 CET 2003

Greetings,

One of the big questions amongst the bogofilter developers is:

	What algorithms are people using with bogofilter?

The initial implementation of bogofilter used the Graham algorithm and that
remained the default for months.

The Robinson algorithm became available with version 0.7.6 in October and
became the default algorithm as of version 0.9.1 at the end of
November.  It's the default algorithm in the current stable version of
bogofilter, i.e. 0.9.1.2.

The Robinson-Fisher algorithm was implemented during November and was
released as part of 0.9.1.  It's an improvement over Robinson with its
ternary result, i.e.

	it's spam - and I (bogofilter) am sure of it
	it's ham  - and I'm sure of that
	it's not clear and I can't tell with any certainty.

I think it's time to promote the Robinson-Fisher bogofilter's standard
(default) algorithm.  Version 0.10.0 has been released, though it hasn't
achieved "stable" status as yet.  I'm planning on the algorithm change once
0.10.0 is stable.  Note that bogofilter will continue to support the older
algorithms.  They will still be selectable by command line switch or config
file option.