Carbon Copies (CC's)

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jan 20 00:32:09 CET 2003

Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> writes:

> Quoting Matthias Andree (matthias.andree at gmx.de):
>> Reply-To Munging Considered Harmful has some _*COMPELLING*_ points, and
>> I also stated mine. Do you still think there is any room for discussion?
>
> No, "RTMCH" was written by somebody who evidently thought that Elm was the
> best MUA in the world, and all its flaws and limitations were actually
> features.
>
> mutt handles Reply-To far better than elm, and just about every argument
> he makes is moot if you don't use elm.

So? Mutt handles Mail-Followup-To and mutt has native mailing list
support ("subscribe"), mutt doesn't count.

I've seen other mailers force the user to answer to Reply-To:, not just elm.

> How can there be any room for discussion when your attitude is "do it my
> way or I'll take my ball and go home"?

Not at all. I'm not willing to waste time with this discussion.

>> far too many accidents, pissed users and so on.
>
> I run mailing lists with over a thousand messages a week.  On them, things
> that go to the list that aren't meant to happen about once every three or
> four months.

Once every other year is still too much. It might contain sensitive
information that must not be disclosed or not at that time, and then the
wish this happens to anyone, neither list subscriber nor list operator.

>> been discussed. I stated my point. Once Reply-To: is munged, I'm off.
>
> Yes, very mature of you.

I share the view of RTMCH, so what?

>> I will ask the Gnus people to give List-Post some more importance when
>
> Ah, so rather than using a header that's been around since RFC-822 and
> works for everybody except people who use elm, you are going to make the
> whole rest of the world adopt a new header.

Nope, you missed the point, it looks as though Nick and you agree on the
standards issue: Nick stated that List-Post is standardized (though he
gave the wrong number, it is really RFC-2369), and Gnus has it in its
source code, so asking the Gnus people why Gnus still sends Cc: when a
a Gnus bug actually. Worked around now by explicit configuration.

there is a value in placing it.