Carbon Copies (CC's)

Nick Simicich njs at scifi.squawk.com
Sun Jan 19 22:15:42 CET 2003

At 08:19 PM 2003-01-19 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:

>Nick Simicich <njs at scifi.squawk.com> writes:
>
> >>No. Reply-To: takes precedence for either function, which is why I'm not
> >>discussing this further.
> >
> > (1) It depends on your MUA (2) I was trying to use the same reply
> > function for on and off list mail.
>
>ad 1: If the MUA doesn't heed Reply-To:, it's b0rken.
>
>ad 2: that cannot work. Reply for off-list, List reply for on-list
>replies, barring that, Group Reply for on-list.
>
> > You also sent me multiple copies of your reply, which means that you
> > can't manage your replies either.
>
>My MUA is fine. The list or alternatively your MUA, should add a
>the list.

Since what you are asking for is non-standard, not published in any
standard, then it is bullshit.  The standard header would be "List-Post:"

> >>May I ask you to read http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html? It is getting
> >>adopted by more and more mail software, and it helps address the
> >>original problem.
> >
> > Is this in an RFC anywhere?
>
>No.

Then it is meaningless, except as a proposal.  It is silly to expect any
major manufacturer or software writer to do anything that is not in a
standard.  If you are serious, write an update to RFC2359.

> > Supported by any major windows MUA?
>
>I don't care. Windows is b0rken and many Windows applications are. As is
>your and David's Eudora, neither your 5.1 version nor David's 4.odds get
>that's been obsolete since April 2001? Please get serious.

Again, better than no RFC.  And I see nothing in 2822 that indicates that
this suggested usage is either obsolete or against standards.

> > If not maybe it should be, and when it is, then I will consider it as
> > an alternative. If not, then I have seen nothing that supercedes the
> > original language in RFC822, and I also urge the people who run this
> > list to begin inserting reply-to.
>
>Should this happen, I will immediately retreat from doing any bogofilter
>work without further warning until someone assures that Reply-To munging
>is switched off and will not be switched on again.

This is the typical reaction of the "no-reply-to-munging" advocates.  The
reaction is irrational, and silly.  You do not like reply-to munging --
your mailer can't deal with it and you are too lazy to deal with it
yourself (you did it again in this reply -- you sent me an off-list reply
and cc'd the list) and your only reaction is to demand that the world adapt
to you, and to threaten to withdraw, not only from the list but from work
on the project.  Pretty damn silly.  Yet it is this reaction that causes
many lists to drop reply-to munging and to inconvenience everyone involved.

> > what you need to do is get it into a major Windows mailer. That will
> > happen about 2 years after a Standard track RFC is written, and then
> > Outlook will do it wrong (they are still replying to sender in some
> > circumstances, last time I checked).
>
>I don't care about inferior software. Indeed, Mail-Followup-To should be
>set by the list if the MUA doesn't do that.

I assert that any software that does not follow standards is inferior.  By
the way, as I mentioned, there is a standard for how to mark lists, and how
to specify the posting address:  RFC2359 - List-post:

--
SPAM: Trademark for spiced, chopped ham manufactured by Hormel.
spam: Unsolicited, Bulk E-mail, where e-mail can be interpreted generally