Carbon Copies (CC's)

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Jan 18 14:57:36 CET 2003

At 08:38 AM 1/18/03, Paul Tomblin wrote:

>Quoting Clint Adams (schizo at debian.org):
> > > Hoping y'all don't mind, but I've got a small request.  Most of the
> > > bogofilter mail I receive arrives in duplicate - one copy via the
> list and
> > > one direct to me.  Consequently for most every message I read, I trash a
> > > duplicate.
> >
> > If you can configure your MUA to set a Mail-Follow-Up to header, many
> > MUAs will respect that.
>
>Now *this* is why I think the guy who wrote "Reply-To Munging Considered
>Harmful" is full of it.  If replies aren't set to go back to the list,
>people just hit "group reply", and sends a message to the author, cc'ed to
>the list and an ever growing list of other people on the cc list from
>previous group replies.  But when it came to a vote on this list, I was
>shouted down, so learn to live with duplicate messages, or screen them out
>with procmail and formail.
>
>:0 Whc: msgid.lock
>| formail -D 8192 msgid.cache
>
>:0 a:
>/dev/null

Paul,

A neat solution!  Actually, it seems that EZMLM can populate the
"Mailing-List:".  When that information is available, "Reply-All" sends the
response to the list and includes the sender's real name in the "At 08:38
AM 1/18/03, John Doe wrote:" line at the start.  I've sent a request to
Adrian to add that header line.