Modularity

Adriano Nagelschmidt Rodrigues anr at estadao.com.br
Mon Jan 13 23:49:57 CET 2003

Hello Nick,

You make the following claims (please correct me if I'm wrong):

* Modularity may hurt performance

* Modularity is most important when programs create stdout output

I disagree with both. I could argue till I were blue in the face, but instead
I'll point you to

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs

and suggest you make a query for "benefits of modularity" or the like.

For the extreme cases, I could also list those monolithic apps:

sendmail  (compare to modular qmail, postfix)
bind      (compare to modular djbdns)

and I won't need to remind you that they have serious security, reliability &
performance problems.

Regards,

--
Adriano