md5 sums [was: TODO for 1.0]

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Mon Jan 13 21:14:45 CET 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 03:02:47PM -0500, David Relson wrote:

> I don't see the need for bogofilter's knowing a message has already been
> processed.  Some people will take a message that bogofilter incorrectly
> classified and will repeatedly train bogofilter on that message until
> bogofilter gets it right.  Your use of md5sums without flags would make
> those people unhappy (I think).
>
> As an alternate idea, you could do the md5sum calculation/checking in a
> script that controls bogofilter.  An implementation like that could be
> distributed in the "contrib" directory.  If you don't grok my alternate
> idea, let me know and I'll send more detail.

I orginally was doing your suggestion of running it through a filter
first to then decide what to do with it in BF, but though since we're
processing the entire email anyway in BF why not do it in there.  Send
BF a "-m" switch (for "md5") and you'll get the MD5 hash of the body.

It doesn't add very easily into BF's current design as you can't plug in
a simple checker routine to see what to do with this MD5 hash.  You'll
have to hard code it into main.c or something like that.

Does re-adding a message over and over help out with training?  I
suppose it does as those couple of keywords get weighed more heavily.

Chris