Default configuration question.

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Jan 8 13:49:20 CET 2003

At 07:18 AM 1/8/03, Graham Wilson wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 01:24:40AM -0800, Doug Mandell wrote:
> > I've got bogofilter running now thanks to some help (which is
> > definitely appreciated), but I was hoping for some clarification.  In
> > re-reading the man pages I noticed that there's a command line switch
> > for reading from a config file, I was wondering whether bogofilter
> > automatically reads from /etc/bogofilter.cf if it exists or whether
> > you must explicitly tell bogofilter to use it?
>
>bogofilter will first read any config files you specify on the command
>line with -c, and then will read /etc/bogofilter.cf and ~/.bogofilter.cf
>if you havent specified -C.

Gram and Doug,

Close, but not exactly right.

bogofilter first processes the command line switches.  "-C" says to skip
the standard config files. A '-c configfile' says to "read configfile right
now".  There can be as many "-c file" as you want.  A side effect of "-c"
is to set the "skip standard config files" option.

So, "-C" alone means "read no config files".  "-c mine.cf" says "read
mine.cf, and skip the default files".

The construct "-c cfg.x" is used in most of the regression tests because
their environment needs to be carefully controlled.

Hope this helps :-)